-
February 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Everyone knows that playing a 250 card 5-color deck takes a big toll on your mana base. I only have 43 duals, 10 shock lands, and 13 painlands, so my best mana base gets pretty dilluted when I get to deck #3, not to mention my forthcoming future deck #4.
So as a solution, Im considering purchasing a second set of 40 dual lands. Its a major investment, much more so when I got my first set of 40 when a Bayou only cost $4. Nowadays even the cruddiest HP Bayou costs $20. Twenty times Forty is $800. Ow.
So I ask, is it worth it? Should I pick away at it? Should I do it all at once? Will it make me a happier magic player?
This is a big investment... Are there any online sources that have cheap duals? (They dont have to be pretty.) Even through e-bay, how much do you think a full boat would run?
Its alot to consider.
-
February 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Even with the cheapest online prices and e-bay you are looking at 6-800 easy... I'm still trying to build a single set of duals do good luck to you!
-
February 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
You know, I face similar qualms myself everytime I build a new 250.
I think you'd be better off filling out those shocks and pains. Do you have a full set of fetch lands? They're a bit cheaper than duals. Running a full set of fetches lets you get away with running less duals. That can be a great help.
The problem with investing in another full set is that once you use that set, what do you do for the next deck?
I'd just spread out the ones you have and ease the burden with shocks, fetches, and pain. Also, if any of your 250's don't need the speed (or are highly casual), use lesser lands (like the Invasion CIPT) there.
-
February 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Another thing to take into account is the deck you are building/using them in. Not every deck NEEDS duals, sure they make a lot of things easier, but say a deck with heavy green, just ass some Kodoma's Reaches and you should be fine.
One of my sickest 3 color decks has 0 duals in it, so its not something that should be considered a must. In fact most decks will be fine without duals, especailly in our casual format.
And a few good helper cards for any deck...
Colorless color fixers:
Solemn Simulacrum
Journeyer's Kite
Wayfarer's Bauble
Darksteel Ingot
-
February 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I have way too much time now, but here is some shock data:
Original Dual Lands - SP Painlands - SP Shocklands
Unlimited Revised Collectors Ice Age Apocalypse 5th Ed. 6th Ed. 7th Ed. 9th Ed. Ravnica Blk.
W/U $50.00 $40.00 $20.00 $5.00 $- $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $6.00 $24.00
W/G $30.00 $22.50 $15.00 $4.00 $- $3.50 $3.50 $3.50 $4.00 $13.50
U/B $60.00 $45.00 $30.00 $5.00 $- $6.00 $5.00 $5.00 $6.00 $16.50
B/R $30.00 $22.50 $17.50 $4.00 $- $3.50 $3.50 $4.00 $4.00 $15.00
R/G $50.00 $30.00 $20.00 $6.00 $- $5.00 $5.00 $5.00 $6.00 $16.00
W/B $30.00 $22.50 $15.00 $- $7.50 $- $- $- $7.50 $17.50
W/R $35.00 $22.50 $20.00 $- $8.00 $- $- $- $9.00 $18.00
U/R $50.00 $35.00 $20.00 $- $9.00 $- $- $- $10.00 $19.00
U/G $50.00 $35.00 $20.00 $- $9.00 $- $- $- $9.00 $22.50
B/G $40.00 $25.00 $17.50 $- $6.00 $- $- $- $6.00 $12.50
Set 1x $425.00 $300.00 $195.00 $24.00 $39.50 $23.00 $22.00 $22.50 $67.50 $174.50
Play Set 4x $1,700.00 $1,200.00 $780.00 $96.00 $158.00 $92.00 $88.00 $90.00 $270.00 $698.00
-
February 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
#6
HB Forum Owner
Those prices seem a bit higher than Motl standard or Findmagiccards. So, you can definetly find stuff a bit cheaper. Still dual prices are not pleasant. Fetches are still cheaper than shock duals. Then again pain prices are nice and cheap comparitively speaking.
-
February 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM
#7
HB Forum Owner
There's also the Tempest enemy color CIPT pains. Those are super cheap if you can wait the turn.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks